Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My PhD Journey


It's been 2 weeks after my last meeting with my supervisors, Chris & Richard. Last time we were discussing about my 3rd study - the proposal and questionnaires. Chris has repeatedly saying that a PhD thesis is like a novel or a story book where it has the different parts and chapters that compliment the whole story of the book. To complete the whole chapter of my PhD, I have to do 3 studies:

1) Archival study of Deliberate Self-Harm (DSH) in HKL from 2005-2009
2) Deliberate Self-Harm (DSH) in Kuala Lumpur
3) Implementation Intention Intervention for patients with DSH

The ideas behind these 3 studies are that the archival study would give an overview of DSH incidents in KL for the past 5 years as well as the socio-demographics factors of people attempted suicide. Then, study 2 would give the better insight of the incident for taking into consideration people who have self-harmed but never been in contact with the health care. This study also aimed at people who have the intention to self-harm in future. The end result of study 2 will give a prevalence rate of DSH incident in KL. To complete my PhD thesis and also the most important part of my PhD is the 3rd study i.e. my main study/intervention. Patients will be given a set of questionnaire including the Volitional Help Sheet (VHS) that purposely created to help them manage self-harm behaviour by promoting them into positive responses especially when they're dealing with critical situations that forced them into self-harm thought. I might say that it is the hardest part as I need to approach patients who admitted into the hospital for DSH and recruit them into this study. Not forget to mention that I need to get in contact with them over the next 1 year to complete the study.

No comments:

Post a Comment